Robert J. Sweeney
(908) 859-3355 Ext. 226
Wednesday: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Friday: 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
The Assessor's Office is to maintain a fair and equitable tax base for the community based on sound assesment practices. Our plan is to treat all property types and owners impartially so as to distribute the tax burden equitably.
The Assessor is responsible for identifying and placing a value on every parcel of land within the confines of the township borders.
Duties of Assesor
The assessor can answer questions about owernership, block and lot, assessments of land and building, lot sizes, confirm sales prices, etc. The assessor can also assist in answering questions about veteran's, senior citizens, and disabled deductions.
In February of each year, "Assessment Notification Postcards" are mailed to each property owner as outlined in N.J.S.A. 54:4-38.1 The postcard notification lists the current year's assessment as well as the process and deadline for filing an appeal. Please keep in mind that property owner cannot appeal the amount of taxes they pay, but rather the assessment of the property. Tax Appeals must be filed with the Warren County Board of Taxation.
Some Tax Relief Programs Include but are not limited to:
* Senior Citizens (Surviving Spouse of a Senior Citizen)
* Disabled Persons (Surviving Spouse of a Disabled Person)
* Veterans Deductions
* Veterans Exemption
* Property Tax Reimbursement (Freeze)
* Homestead Rebate
For more information about property tax relief programs, please refer to the Division of Taxation's website: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/relief.shtml
Change of Address:
Changes of address must be in writing and submitted to the Tax Assessor's Office.
The Tax Assessor can be reached at 908-859-3355 ext 226
* Payment of 1st quarter taxes and other municipal charges is a prerequisite to the appeal process. Your appeal will not be accepted unless taxes are paid.
* Land and building assessments cannot be appealed separately.
* A tax appeal is NOT an appeal of your tax bill. The amount of taxes you pay is never an issue during an appeal because neither the Tax Assessor nor the County Tax Board has control over budgets submitted by municipalities, counties, schools or fire districts.
Township Of Lopatcong: 232 South 3rd Street, Phillipsburg, NJ 08865 Tel: (908)-859-3355 Fax: (908)-213-1037
Contact us at Lopatcong Webmaster